Posts Tagged ‘ historic travel ’

America’s Lost Highway-California’s U.S. 99 is now available in Google Maps

Explore what was once the primary north-south route for traveling the length of the state of California with Google Maps, providing the locations of hundreds of landmarks and historic sites along the way.

Links to Google Maps from American Auto Trails

American Auto Trail-North Carolina’s Blue Ridge Parkway is Now Available on Google Maps

Explore 78 Historic Sites, Landmarks, and other Point of Interest along the 252 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina.

Autotrails.net List of U.S. Google Maps

America’s Lost Highway-Missouri’s U.S. Highway 66 is Now Available on Google Maps

Explore 120 Historical Sites and Landmarks along Route 66 through the Show Me State.

Autotrails.net List of U.S. Google Maps

Historical Cities-Dieppe and Upper Normandy, France is now available on Google Maps

Link to Google Maps

Dieppe is a seaport, fishing harbor, and fashionable watering-place, situated on the English Channel at the mouth of the Arques, between two ranges of chalk cliffs.  The harbor, whence the cross-channel boats ply to Newhaven, is commodious and deep.

Dieppe probably originated in the Gaulish and Roman settlement of the Cite de Limes.  It was colonized in the 10th century by Norse adventurers, to whom it owes its name (in allusion to the depth of the harbor).  The earliest castle here was built by Henry II of England.  Dieppe, like St-Malo, was the home of many corsairs and bold adventurers, whose exploits included the pillaging of Southampton (1339), a blockade of Lisbon (1530), and voyages of discovery to every shore from Iceland to the Gold Coast.

Under Francis I, the port became the most flourishing in France, and the local manufacture of carved ivory from imported tusks dated from this period.  Its large Protestant population suffered by the revocation of the Edict of Nantes, and in 1694 the town was ruthlessly bombarded by the English fleet, which was returning from an unsuccessful attack on Brest, so that it had to be almost entirely rebuilt.  In 1870 and 1871, it was held by the Prussians for seven months.  The harbor was enlarged between 1914 and 1918.  Among celebrated Dieppois are Jean Ango (1480-1551), the corsair and merchant prince; Jean Cousin, one of the claimants to the discovery of Brazil (1488); and Abraham Duquesne (1610-1688), the Calvinist admiral who vanquished De Ruyter of Sicily.

Normandy (French for Normandie), the ancient duchy and province of France, now represented by the departments of the Seine-Inferieure, Eure, Orne, Calvados, and the Manche, owed its early name of Terra Northmannorum or Northmannia to its occupation in the early part of the 10th century by the Norsemen (Normands).  It is one of the most attractive regions of France, with a varied landscape of hedgerows, orchards, cornfields, and pastures, recalling England.  The coast-line is formed by white chalk cliffs, and in the winding dales of the interior are many remains of medieval architecture, village spires and venerable castles and abbeys, some of which were founded in the time of the conquerors of England.  The most picturesque portion is the lower basin of the Seine.  Since the time of their Scandinavian ancestors, whose regular trade was piracy, the Normans have been supposed to possess a somewhat grasping character; and they have been styled ‘the lawyers of France’ from their fondness for legal forms and processes.  At the same time they are tenacious in their French patriotism.  Butter and cheese, the staple products of Normandy, are very largely exported to England.

 

American Auto Trail-Wyoming’s U.S. Highway 30-Now Available in Google Maps

American Auto Trail-Wyoming’s U.S. Highway 30

U.S. Highway 30, originally known as the Lincoln Highway, crosses the rolling prairies and deserts of southern Wyoming, with heavily timbered, snowcapped mountains in view nearly all the way.   Although it reaches its greatest altitude (8,835 feet) near Laramie and crosses the Continental Divide at Creston, it offers easy grades, with little mountain driving.  The route connects several of the largest towns in Wyoming, yet has vast stretches where no dwelling is seen for many miles.  Long freight trains chuff over glistening rails near the highway, and streamlined expresses slither swiftly through the sage, making bright orange streaks across the dead brown and gray-green plain, which sometimes sweeps unbroken from one blue barrier to another.

In October of 1913, the Lincoln Highway was proclaimed to be the nation’s first transcontinental highway and covered 3,300 miles through gravel, mud, and sand.  Across Wyoming it followed the right-of-ways abandoned by the Union Pacific Railroad in 1901.  Many towns were already established along the railroad, and within each of those towns up sprang filling stations, hotels, cabins, and cafes.  However, one should not be confused by highway names such as the Lincoln Highway, Highway 30, and Interstate 80.  In 1926, U.S. Highway 30 was built along the same route of the Lincoln Highway, but a much straighter route resulted.  Interstate 80 furthered those changes along the same route.

London Nobody Knows-Now Available on Google Maps

London Nobody Knows provides a listing of 173 historic sites around the city of London.  Most of these sites are ones that are often overlooked by the typical tourist to the city.

Our website below contains a link to the Google Maps page, as well as a link to our guidebook for the sites provided.

https://www.autotrails.net/map-guides/

Ghosts Towns of the West–Nighthawk, Washington

Link to Google Map of key sites.

The remains of the town of Nighthawk stand along the Similkameen River in an area where nighthawks, sometimes called “bull bats,” were very prevalent.  The supply center that sprung up here was named for the birds.  The Ruby, Kaaba, and the more famous War Eagle mines were among those developed by James M. Haggerty, an attorney who was responsible for managing the estate of Hiram “Okanogan” Smith.  Smith was friendly to the Native Americans and was elected to the Territorial Legislature of Washington in 1860.  After serving one term, he settled on his ranch near Chesaw and tended his orchard for 40 years.

View of Kaaba-Texas Mine Ruins (located on Allemandi property on north side of Silmilkameen River, south of Nighthawk)

Nighthawk had been built where the ground was level but the main producing mine was across the Silmilkameen.  A footbridge was good enough for the early traffic but when it became inadequate, a ferry was put into operation by William Berry.  About 1900, the Vancouver, Victoria, & Eastern Railroad ran its line through Nighthawk to Oroville and the town looked forward to a rosy future.  For a time it seemed to be coming true as all heavy equipment for the mines, including the Loomis twelve miles to the south, was rail shipped through Nighthawk.  This meant freighting lines were based here, large livery stables maintained, as well as hotel, store and several saloons.

 

When the business of transporting mine equipment and passengers was flourishing, the rail line, a branch of the Wenatchee, Oroville & Great Northern ran from its connection at Spokane through Danville, Molson, Chesaw, Nighthawk, and Hedley (British Columbia), terminating at Princeton where it connected with the Canadian Pacific.  By 1950, the line had been cut to a spur approximately 50 miles long from Oroville to Hedley.  Freight was limited to a small amount of farm equipment and produce with an occasional passenger.  The train came to Nighthawk twice a week.  A tiny one-room customs office stood beside the single track.

Route of Wenatchee, Oroville & Great Northern (now referred to as the Cascade & Columbia River Railroad)

The Nighthawk Hotel was built by Ed McNull for miners in boom days.  Later, when Nighthawk Mill was running at full capacity, the Ewing family took it over as a boardinghouse for mill workers.  It stood vacant for many years near the little grocery store operated for 25 years by Mr. and Mrs. Lynn Sullivan.  The Sullivans later moved to Palmer Lake a few miles to the south.

Palmer Lake

Palmer Lake

Palmer Lake

Reference Material:

Florin, Lambert; Ghost Towns of the West; Superior Publishing Company, 1971; pg. 829-831