Posts Tagged ‘ historical society ’

American Auto Trail-Wyoming’s U.S. Highway 30-Now Available in Google Maps

American Auto Trail-Wyoming’s U.S. Highway 30

U.S. Highway 30, originally known as the Lincoln Highway, crosses the rolling prairies and deserts of southern Wyoming, with heavily timbered, snowcapped mountains in view nearly all the way.   Although it reaches its greatest altitude (8,835 feet) near Laramie and crosses the Continental Divide at Creston, it offers easy grades, with little mountain driving.  The route connects several of the largest towns in Wyoming, yet has vast stretches where no dwelling is seen for many miles.  Long freight trains chuff over glistening rails near the highway, and streamlined expresses slither swiftly through the sage, making bright orange streaks across the dead brown and gray-green plain, which sometimes sweeps unbroken from one blue barrier to another.

In October of 1913, the Lincoln Highway was proclaimed to be the nation’s first transcontinental highway and covered 3,300 miles through gravel, mud, and sand.  Across Wyoming it followed the right-of-ways abandoned by the Union Pacific Railroad in 1901.  Many towns were already established along the railroad, and within each of those towns up sprang filling stations, hotels, cabins, and cafes.  However, one should not be confused by highway names such as the Lincoln Highway, Highway 30, and Interstate 80.  In 1926, U.S. Highway 30 was built along the same route of the Lincoln Highway, but a much straighter route resulted.  Interstate 80 furthered those changes along the same route.

Advertisements

Historical Cities – Charleston, South Carolina, is now available on Google Maps

Charleston is located on the southern end of ‘The Neck’, a strip of land extending from the Bay north to the crook in the Ashley River.  In Charleston, it was important to live ‘below Broad Street,’ and outsiders believed that to live on, or to claim relationship with one who lives ‘on the Battery,’ is a Charlestonian’s prime distinction.  Where the Ashley River and Cooper River meet to form the waterfront was noted even in Europe for its beauty.  Since the War of 1812, it has been called ‘The Battery.’  The high east seawall was built before 1820 of ballast rocks from trading vessels.  This replaced an earlier wall built of palmetto logs which were swept away in 1804.  Between 1848 and 1852, the south wall was added.

Charles Town, as it was originally called, was settled in 1670 by English pioneers who established themselves on Albemarle Point, westward across the Ashley River from the present location.  Oyster Point was higher and better adapted for defense, and was selected for the site of the ‘great port towne’ laid out in 1672 by instructions of Lord Ashley-Cooper, one of the Lords Proprietors.  The colony, increased in the meantime by settlers from Barbados, England, and Virginia, moved across the river in 1680 and Charles Town became a ‘City-State.’  For many years, its history was the history of South Carolina.  It was the center from which colonization radiated and the capital of the province until 1786, when Columbia was founded for that purpose.  Provision crops, naval stores, and the Indian trade gave the colony its start.  Rice and later indigo brought the settlement its wealth, and Charleston became a flourishing urban center for opulent planters, who maintained ‘county seats’ on Low Country rivers.

The influx of French Huguenots and of French Catholics from Acadia in the late 1600’s gave the city a cosmopolitan atmosphere.  They were followed by the arrival of Scots and South Germans.  In the 1800’s, North Germans and Irish immigrants arrived.  A writer of this last period described Charleston as ‘owned by the Germans, ruled by the Irish, and enjoyed by the Negroes.’  The different races and nationalities represented added breadth as well as variety to spiritual and intellectual life.  A public library, the first in the colonies, was established in 1698.  It was succeeded after its decline by the present Charleston Library Society in 1748.  A free school opened in 1710 and a theater in 1735.  The first newspaper, the South Carolina Weekly Journal, was founded in 1730 by Eleazer Phillips, Jr.  It was followed by the South Carolina Gazette, with Thomas Whitmarsh as editor and printer.  Whitmarsh died of ‘strangers’ (yellow) fever in 1735.  The following year, Benjamin Franklin sent Lewis Timothy, one of his printers, to take charge.  In 1738, Timothy was succeeded by his widow.  Later, her son Peter Timothy assumed the editorship until 1775.  The paper was suspended for two years, only to be revived by Peter’s son, Benjamin Franklin Timothy, as the Gazette of the State of South Carolina.  It continued under that name and management until 1792.  Its successor in 1803 was the Courier, the antecedent of Charleston’s present paper, the News and Courier.

Because if their affiliation with the Mother Country and its traditions, many leading Charlestonians found it difficult to sever their British allegiance at the onset of the American Revolution.  However, the first Provincial Congress of South Carolina, meeting at Charleston in 1775, secured strict loyalty to the American cause from most citizens.  Christopher Gadsden, John Rutledge, Henry and John Laurens, and other local leaders were active in the affairs of the new Nation.  A British attack upon Charlestown on June 28th, 1776, was repulsed by William Moultrie’s brilliant defense of the palmetto fort on Sullivan’s Island.  In 1780, the city fell into the hands of the British and was held for two and a half years.  The relationship of Charlestonians and the enemy was not that of conqueror and conquered.  Even in these circumstances, Charlestown remembered its manners.  It was not until December of 1782, when General Nathaniel Greene and other partisan leaders had cleared the rest of the State, that Charlestown was evacuated by the enemy.  The next year, the city’s name was changed from Charles Town to Charleston.

The post-revolution period was characterized by a vigorous democratic spirit.  With the removal of the capital to Columbia, the planters, lawyers, and merchants of Charleston found their control threatened by the small farmers of the interior.  Realizing a need for a stronger government to protect trade and invested money caused Charleston leaders to join heartily in the support for a new Federal constitution.  Years after the rest of the State had gone over to Thomas Jefferson’s Democratic Party, the city remained stiffly Federalist.  Charleston’s prosperity increased during the great plantation era, and the city became noted in Europe and America as ‘a flourishing capital of wealth and ease.’

The embargo on trade accompanying the War of 1812 was a temporary setback.  When developing transportation deflected commerce to Savannah, however, Charleston launched the bold experiment of that pioneer among early steam railroads, the South Carolina Railroad.  The South Carolina Railroad was built from Charleston to the Savannah River, opposite Augusta, from 1830 to 1833.  Coincident with the construction of the railroad was the establishment of the world’s first department store in a mammoth building at the corner of King Street and Market Street.

Charleston, along with the rest of the State, enthusiastically entered into the War Between the States, hosting the convention that passed the Ordinance of Secession.  The long siege of the city abounded with dramatic incidents.  Beginning with the Union defense of Fort Sumter, the port was constantly active with blockade running.  Submarine warfare was first introduced here in 1863.  After Union General William Tecumseh Sherman had demolished Columbia in February of 1865, Charleston was evacuated.  Sherman had insinuated his intention to destroy Charleston, but later plans turned him in another direction.  Union forces had heavily bombarded the city, however.  Public buildings and homes were badly damaged, particularly in the lower sections.  Charleston was left poverty-stricken.

Charleston return to prosperity was interrupted by the earthquake of 1886.  After the cataclysm, weakened buildings were strengthened with tie rods running between the floors from wall to wall, still visible in surviving brick structures.  Other natural disasters have followed, including tornadoes in 1938 and numerous hurricanes.  Despite Mother Nature, the important shipping trade returned.  In 1880, work began on the construction of jetties with Federal funds.  One jetty extends from Sullivan Island and the other from Morris Island.  This closed all channels except one, causing an increased flow with a consequent increased depth.

Historical Cities-Charleston, South Carolina, now on Google Maps

More guides and eBooks are available at www.autotrails.net and Amazon.com

Hidden Landmark-World War II British Flying School Crash Site, Big Mountain, OK

Between 1997 and 2001, students at Rattan Elementary School in Rattan, Oklahoma, researched the crash site of a flight of Texan AT6 training aircraft.  These aircraft were piloted by Royal Air Force pilots which were stationed at British Flying Training School No. 1 in Terrell, Texas, and were enroute to Miami, OK.  Below is the text from the signage next to the memorial:

The morning of Saturday, February 20, 1943, Course 12 of the #1 British Flying Training School left Terrell, Texas, in a low level, cross-country training flight.  Their destination was the #3 BFTS in Miami, Oklahoma.  These AT6s encountered bad weather near Red River, the boundary between Texas and Oklahoma.  Some planes returned to Terrell, some continued to Miami, but three were reported missing.  According to the information gathered by Rattan Elementary students, one AT6 “belly landed” and slid into a tree.  Pilot, Vincent Henry Cockman, and navigator, Frank R. Frostick, were found still in the cockpit.  The Anderson-Clayton Funeral Home in Antlers, Oklahoma, picked up their bodies.  The bodies were then transported to Terrell, Texas, for burial on Monday, February 22, 1943, at Oakland Cemetery.  The AT6 flown by Michael John Minty Hosier with navigator Maurice Leslie Jensen nose-dived into the ground turning up a boulder, which created what community members refer to as a “natural tombstone.”  The bodies of the two cadets were recovered on that (same) Monday and taken to the funeral home in Antlers.  They were (also) returned to Terrell for burial.  The third AT6 was able to land safely in a field and was flown back to Terrell the following day.  The navigator of this plane, Gordon “Wilbur” Wright returned to Terrell in the AT6 while its pilot, John Wall, stayed to search for the two crashed AT6s.  Wall wrote a letter describing this incident.  The letter is included in the research report available at the Pushmataha County Historical Society in Antlers, Oklahoma, and at the Oklahoma Historical Society in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.  This monument was placed at the “natural tombstone” crash site for two principal reasons.  The research brought about student awareness of the importance of maintaining good relations between the United States and the United Kingdom.  The research also served as a reminder of the great sacrifices both countries have made to preserve and protect our freedom.  This monument was placed in honor of these four cadets as well as all others who have given their lives for the cause of freedom.  The monument was designed by the student researchers in consultation with the Canadian Commonwealth War Graves Commission and prepared by a local artisan, Mr. Allen Parsons of Allen’s Monuments.  The monument was dedicated on Sunday, February 20, 2000, at 2:00 pm on the 57th anniversary of the crashes. 

IMG_20160319_182318

The six BFTSs were, with opening dates:
1 BFTS Terrell, Texas 9 June 1941 *
2 BFTS Lancaster, California 9 June 1941 *
3 BFTS Miami. Oklahoma 16 June 1941 *
4 BFTS Mesa, Arizona 16 June 1941 *
5 BFTS Clewiston, Florida 17 July 1941 *
6 BFTS Ponca City, Oklahoma 23 August 1941
7 BFTS Sweetwater, Texas May 1942 but closed August 1942

Other training would take place with the USAAC in their own schools, under the Arnold Scheme, named after General Hap Arnold.  Altogether, some 18,000 RAF cadets passed through the BFTS and Arnold Schemes. Another 1,000 USAAF cadets were also trained at the BFTSs (http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/17/a7189617.shtml)

We Support-Dunwoody Preservation Trust, Dunwoody, GA

Dunwoody Preservation Trust (DPT) was founded in 1994 with organization funding provided by Dunwoody Homeowners Association. It is a 501(c)3 organization chartered to preserve the history and heritage of Dunwoody through various means. These include acquisition and/or underwriting the maintenance of historically significant properties, documenting historical and current happenings, providing education on Dunwoody’s past and contributing  to the general beautification and functionality of Dunwoody.

In fulfilling these roles, DPT has been responsible for saving the Cheek-Spruill Farmhouse in the center of Dunwoody and converting it into an event facility. Additionally, in 2005 DPT took the idea of acquiring the historical Donaldson-Bannister House and Farm to DeKalb County officials. This multi-building three-acre property in the heart of Dunwoody became available and DPT designed an acquisition plan with its owners and the County that resulted in preserving this property for future generations. Now, the Donaldson-Bannister Farm is owned by the City of Dunwoody and was the benefactor of the funds raised during Lemonade Days 2012. The DPT has been successful in placing both the Cheek-Spruill Farmhouse and Donaldson Bannister House —
as well as the Isaac Roberts House on Roberts Drive — with the National Register of Historic Places.

Other activities that DPT has spearheaded over the years include the “Replant The Dunwoody Forest” program after the 1998 tornado that resulted in raising more than $250,000 and planting over 25,000 trees to begin the recovery of the natural resources that were lost. DPT researched and compiled The Story of Dunwoody 1821-2001, a 500+ page chronicling of our heritage, and The Silent Storytellers, a 250+ page book identifying over 4000 historical gravesites in Dunwoody. DPT has also produced a thirty minute DVD entitled Dunwoody: the History & Heritage – 1821-2003. These publications and productions provide opportunities to expand awareness of our history and heritage. Additionally, DPT led the effort and assisted in the funding of the tree
planting and landscaping of Ashford Center Parkway.

DPT has also assumed the responsibility for the maintenance of New Hope Cemetery where a number of early settlers and Confederate soldiers are buried. DPT was also actively involved with DeKalb County to ensure that a master land use plan developed for Brook Run Park preserved the integrity of the natural beauty of this 102 acre area. This included incorporating venues and activity opportunities needed in the North DeKalb area such as the inclusion of a plan for a world class playground which was opened in October 2005.

Home History of Dunwoody About DPT
News & Events Get Involved Childrens Corner
Store Contact Us Privacy Policy

Historical Cities-Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas now available

Historical Cities-Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas is now available for the Amazon Kindle and will shortly be available in the iBookstore and Nook Store.  This installment in the Historical Cities series explores the  metropolitan area of Dallas and Fort Worth, Texas.  Over 175 historic  points of interest are presented, along with reference maps for the  centers of the cities and GPS coordinates for all listed sites.  Sources include the American Guides series and local historical societies.  Retail price is $2.99.

DFW Title

 

We Support-Historic Fort Worth, Inc., Fort Worth (TX)

 

logo

A Local Partner of the National
Trust for Historic Preservation.

Established in 1969, Historic Fort
Worth, Inc. is a non-profit,
charitable organization that is
dedicated to preserving
Fort Worth’s unique historic
identity through stewardship,
education and leadership.

American Auto Trail-Montana’s U.S. Highway 2 (Second Edition) Now Available

AAT US 30 Cover

                    U.S. Highway 2 follows what is commonly referred to as Montana’s Highline, as it travels through the more northerly regions of the State.  Diverse geography lies along the route, from the high plains as you cross from North Dakota, to the Rocky Mountain peaks of Glacier National Park.  That geography shaped the explorer and pioneer history of Montana.  Much of this region has not changed a great deal from the days of the Wild West.
The second edition increases the number of historic points of interest to 148, as well as adding reference maps, GPS coordinates for listed points, and improved text navigation.

New edition available on Kindle, at the link below in ePub format, and shortly for the iPad and Nook

 

http://www.lulu.com/content/e-book/american-auto-trail-montanas-us-highway-2/13554325