Posts Tagged ‘ Historical ’

Historical Cities-Dieppe and Upper Normandy, France is now available on Google Maps

Link to Google Maps

Dieppe is a seaport, fishing harbor, and fashionable watering-place, situated on the English Channel at the mouth of the Arques, between two ranges of chalk cliffs.  The harbor, whence the cross-channel boats ply to Newhaven, is commodious and deep.

Dieppe probably originated in the Gaulish and Roman settlement of the Cite de Limes.  It was colonized in the 10th century by Norse adventurers, to whom it owes its name (in allusion to the depth of the harbor).  The earliest castle here was built by Henry II of England.  Dieppe, like St-Malo, was the home of many corsairs and bold adventurers, whose exploits included the pillaging of Southampton (1339), a blockade of Lisbon (1530), and voyages of discovery to every shore from Iceland to the Gold Coast.

Under Francis I, the port became the most flourishing in France, and the local manufacture of carved ivory from imported tusks dated from this period.  Its large Protestant population suffered by the revocation of the Edict of Nantes, and in 1694 the town was ruthlessly bombarded by the English fleet, which was returning from an unsuccessful attack on Brest, so that it had to be almost entirely rebuilt.  In 1870 and 1871, it was held by the Prussians for seven months.  The harbor was enlarged between 1914 and 1918.  Among celebrated Dieppois are Jean Ango (1480-1551), the corsair and merchant prince; Jean Cousin, one of the claimants to the discovery of Brazil (1488); and Abraham Duquesne (1610-1688), the Calvinist admiral who vanquished De Ruyter of Sicily.

Normandy (French for Normandie), the ancient duchy and province of France, now represented by the departments of the Seine-Inferieure, Eure, Orne, Calvados, and the Manche, owed its early name of Terra Northmannorum or Northmannia to its occupation in the early part of the 10th century by the Norsemen (Normands).  It is one of the most attractive regions of France, with a varied landscape of hedgerows, orchards, cornfields, and pastures, recalling England.  The coast-line is formed by white chalk cliffs, and in the winding dales of the interior are many remains of medieval architecture, village spires and venerable castles and abbeys, some of which were founded in the time of the conquerors of England.  The most picturesque portion is the lower basin of the Seine.  Since the time of their Scandinavian ancestors, whose regular trade was piracy, the Normans have been supposed to possess a somewhat grasping character; and they have been styled ‘the lawyers of France’ from their fondness for legal forms and processes.  At the same time they are tenacious in their French patriotism.  Butter and cheese, the staple products of Normandy, are very largely exported to England.

 

35mm Photo Archive-Grantham Infant Grave Marker

This darling born to R. M. & ALICE M. GRANTHAM Sept. 3, 1906 —. Dec. 20, 1908.

This darling born to R. M. & ALICE M. GRANTHAM Sept. 3, 1906 —. Dec. 20, 1908.

Forgotten Landmark-Tokio School, Tokio (TX)

Early classes in the Tokio area were held in the ranch house of the J Cross Ranch near the turn of the century. In 1911, a school building was constructed near the center of town and classes were relocated. Larger school buildings later were erected, once due to fire and twice due to changing space needs. The school facilities continued to serve the community’s educational as well as religious and civic needs until 1941 when Tokio School was consolidated with the Brownfield Independent School District.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tokio, also called Wiggins, is at the intersection of Farm roads 1858 and 3149, five miles southwest of West in northern McLennan County. Joseph Thomas Rogers purchased 1,200 acres in the area in 1868. Tokio became a rail stop in 1882, when the Texas Central Railroad was building its track between Ross and Albany. In 1910 the community had a gin, a store, and twenty-five residents. During World War II, the name of the community was changed to Wiggins. In the 1940s, it had a school, a church, a few businesses and residences, and a population of twenty-eight. The school was consolidated with the West Independent School District in 1945. A church and several scattered houses were shown on topographic maps of the area from the 1950s through the 1970s. Though Wiggins was the official name of the community for many years after the end of World War II, the old name for the town eventually came back into local usage. The name Tokio replaced Wiggins on the community list in the Texas Almanac in the late 1980s, but a recent population estimate was not available. (Handbook of Texas Online)

Historic Lodging in Wyoming-Hotel Wolf, Saratoga (WY)

Hotel Wolf (101 E. Bridge Avenue)

This establishment opened its doors in 1893.

http://www.wolfhotel.com/

Eccentric Literary Landmark- Jackson-Dexter House, Newburyport, MA

201 High Street, Newburyport, Massachusetts (Image from Microsoft Bing 8/2011)

This house was built in 1771. This was once the lavish residence
of “Lord” Timothy Dexter. Lord Timothy, Newburyport’s self- titled eccentric,
cluttered his estate with statues of the great, his own included.  He beat his wife for not giving vent to
sufficient grief at a mock funeral held for himself. But his “lordship” was far
from crazy. He gained a good portion of his wealth by buying up depreciated
Continental currency. He made a tidy profit out of a cargo of warming-pans
sent, with every appearance of lunacy, to the West Indies, and there snapped up
for molasses ladles. He published in 1802 a book called Pickles for the Knowing Ones, in which all the punctuation appeared
at the end of the book as pages of commas and periods, bearing the unique
caption “Salt and Pepper to Taste.”

[From American Auto Trails-Massachusetts’ U.S. Highway 1]

Forgotten Landmark-Rock Saloon, McDade, TX

Rock Saloon--Waco Street and Old Highway 20, McDade, TX (taken from Google Maps Streetview 7/2/11)

 

The McDade, Texas, area was a stronghold for a group of
outlaws known as the notch cutters, and county law enforcement was far away and
ineffective. By 1875, local citizens took the law into their own hands and hung
two suspected outlaws, provoking retaliation with the murder of two vigilantes,
which led to the hanging of a third outlaw. Early in 1876, two men were caught
with a skinned cow, and the skin showed the Olive brand. Both men were shot on
the spot. Five months later, fifteen men, believed to have been led by the son
of one of the men shot, attacked the Olive ranch headquarters, killing two men
of the ranch and burning the ranch house. On June 26th, 1877,
vigilantes stopped a dance, took four men out and lynched them. For five years
after, there was little crime or trouble. However, in November of 1883, two men
were murdered in Fedor, and in a separate incident another man was beaten,
robbed, and left for dead. Shortly afterwards, the deputy sheriff investigating
these crimes was shot to death in McDade. A vigilante committee hung four of
the suspected perpetrators. But the violence continued with the McDade
Christmas hangings on Christmas Eve of 1883, when three more suspected outlaws
were executed. This event led to a gunfight in front of the Rock Saloon on
Christmas Day that left three more men dead. This ended the vigilante
“justice,” but violence and gunfights continued until 1912.[i]


[i]
McDade, TX; Paula Mitchell Marks, Handbook of Texas Online, Texas State
Historical Association; http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlm45

Historical Cities-Seattle and Tacoma, Washington

Historical Cities-Seattle and Tacoma, Washington has now been released for the Amazon Kindle.  Over 70 historic sites and landmarks are included, as well as reference maps for Downtown Seattle and Tacoma and GPS Coordinates for all listed historic points of interest.  This guide is also available at Smashwords.com and will be released soon for the iBook store.