Posts Tagged ‘ lost landmark ’

American Auto Trail-Massachusetts’ U.S. Highway 1 is now available on Google Maps

U.S. Highway 1, the most direct route between Portsmouth, New Hampshire, and Pawtucket, Rhode Island, enters Massachusetts as a concrete road winding through a pleasant countryside bordered by farm land and open fields. South of Newburyport, it is still locally called the Newburyport Turnpike. Built in 1804 as a stagecoach road between Newburyport and Boston, the Turnpike, sometimes called the “airline route,” is unusual among Massachusetts highways in that in 35 miles it deviates only 83 feet from a straight line.  From Newburyport, it runs through rolling country up and down the glacial hills of Topsfield and Danvers.  At Lynnfield, it levels out as it passes Suntaug Lake, swings around its only curve between the red rock outcrops of Saugus.

This free guide and others are available at Auto Trails.net

 

Advertisements

Historical Cities-Dublin, Ireland is now available on Google Maps

Links to Google Map and Companion Text

Historical Cities-Dublin, Ireland provides information about the historic sites and landmarks within the city centre of Dublin and in the surrounding vicinity.  It is not our desire to dramatize the history or expand on it in any way.  We believe that the character and culture of the city can speak for itself.  The guide has been created, not for just travelers new to the city, but for current residents who may not realize what lies just around the corner in their own neighborhood.  This is not intended to be an exhaustive guide to all sites, as the individual traveler will find their own historical treasures amongst the landmarks we present.

America’s Lost Highway – Illinois’ U.S. Highway 66 now available on Google Maps

200px-US_66_(CA).svg

Before the creation of Interstate 55, U.S. Highway 66 was the most heavily traveled highway in Illinois.  It cuts diagonally across the State between the great populations centers of Chicago and St. Louis.  Along its course are the State Capital and multiple State institutions.

Illinois’ U.S. Highway 66 on Google Maps

More free guides available at Autotrails.net

Forgotten Landmark–Site of General Wolfe Statue, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada

Site of General Wolfe Statue (Western corner of Cote du Palais and Rue St. Jean)

On the front of the large house which once stood here, stood a wooden statue of General Wolfe, which was originally put there in 1771 and which finally found a resting place there after many peregrinations in the early part of the present century. Carried off by English “middies” and men-of-war’s-men “out of a lark” to the West Indies and other places, it eventually found its way back to Quebec.

 

General Wolfe Statue Site

Threatened Landmark-Magma Hotel, Superior (AZ)

This grand old structure was also known as MacPherson’s Hotel Magma.  On the National Register of Historic Places since 1994, the Magma’s original concrete structure was constructed in 1912 by owner John M. MacPherson.  In 1916, the adobe addition, which is now collapsing, was added.  In 1923, the red brick two-story rectangular hotel section was constructed and connected to the adobe by a one-story lobby with a high ceiling.  The brick addition created a courtyard through which hotel guests entered.[i]


[i] “State of emergency declared as Magma’s adobe structure continues to crumble”; Cindy Tracy; Superior Sun, December 19th, 2007.

Lost Landmark-Great Western Coal & Coke Building, Wilburton (OK)

Great Western Coal & Coke Building, 701 E. Main Street, Wilburton, OK

The building was one of the last surviving coal company store buildings in southeastern Oklahoma. Built shortly after 1900 to house the company store and company offices, the building was the center of commercial activity for miners and their families. Social and religious functions were also held on the second floor for the multiethnic mining population that included Irish, English, Scottish, Italian, Slovakian and Lithuanian immigrants. The building served as a county courthouse until 1936 and since that time had been used as an armory, grocery store, furniture store, restaurant and discotheque.

According to Maryellen Mooney, Program Manager of Wilburton Main Street, Inc., “the building burned to the ground in the late 1980’s or early 1990’s”.  For additional information, Ms. Mooney’s contact information is provided below:

Maryellen Mooney, CMSM Program Manager WILBURTON MAIN STREET, Inc. PO Box 856 108 W. Main St., Wilburton, OK 74563 Phone: 918-465-2254 Fax: 918-465-2254

Lost Landmark-Albion State Bank Building, Albion (OK)

 

Photo courtesy of koknor

This structure was built in 1910.  By 1911, Albion had a population of 300 and a hotel and a general store.

Albion’s future commercial success seemed assured to the town’s businessmen, one of whom, John T. Bailey—who also named the town—built Albion State Bank in 1910. Bailey built the bank on the northwest corner of the public square—no longer extant as a square; it has been bisected by U.S. Highway 271—at the corner of Pearl Street. Bailey’s brother, Edgar Bailey, operated a dentist office in the rear two rooms.

Continued and enduring prosperity eluded Albion, however, and in approximately 1927 banker Bailey transferred the bank to Talihina, Oklahoma. The building remained empty until 1930, when J.M. (John Melvin)Armstrong, another prominent Albion businessman, purchased it and opened a grocery store. He closed the store in 1950, converting it into his family residence, where he lived until his death in 1963. His widow continued living there until her death in 1972.

In 1975 the building was purchased by Mrs. Lorene Barnett, who operated a succession of small businesses there. In 1979, at the time of an architectural survey, the building was vacant but in good condition. Its wood plank flooring was original, and also in good condition.

The building was a one story structure constructed of red brick in a rectangular footprint. It measured 40 feet long and 25 feet wide. The windows were originally arched. The interior ceilings were of pressed copper bearing a decorative design. The original bank vault painted with the words, “Albion State Bank” was mounted in a brick wall and was still present during the survey in 1979.

A water well dug in approximately 1933 was outside the back door.

The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.  It was demolished after 1980.